Parallel sessions. Join our hands-on workshops for a unique learning opportunity with experts on the Circular Economy. Participants are invited to choose between one of the following sessions:
- RECP (Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production) and Eco-Innovation in the Food sector (hosted by UNIDO) – Francesc Cambó Auditorium
The main objective of the session is to exchange best practices and experience from implementing resource efficiency and eco innovation in the food sector across the southern Mediterranean countries. By end of the session, participants will have learned how to overcome particular barriers working with food industries on RECP, as well as eco innovative solutions for promoting upcycling and circular economy in the food industry.
- Martin Shuring, Head of Innovation, Food and Environmental Technologies, ttz-Bremerhaven
- Chris Arvanitakis, Food Sector & Business Development expert
- Bio waste management (hosted by SCP/RAC) – Floor 1, Room 3
Biowaste plays a key role in sustainable waste management and in the implementation of circular economies. In the countries of the Mediterranean Basin, food waste represents the predominant fraction of bio-waste, reaching up to 30%-50% of total Municipal Solid Waste production. An insufficient fraction is currently treated through bio-waste treatment plant. Some countries even lack of bio-waste management strategies. The master class is intended to give an overview of the current best practices on management of organic waste as well as to delve into successful case studies at Regional, National and European level and to encourage an exchange of views on what constitutes sound policy-making in this respect.
- Francesc Giró, Director of Strategic Planning – Waste Agency of Catalonia, Ministry of Planning and Sustainability, Generalitat de Catalunya
- Yara Saab, SCP/RAC
- Toxic chemicals in Plastic production and recycling: The little BIG unknown (hosted by SCP /RAC) – Floor 2, Room 3-4The master class intends to nourish and bridge the topics of plastic waste including that in marine litter and the issue of toxic chemicals. The idea is to provide an overview of the link between plastic and its harmful properties both on human health and the environment. A subject often overlooked or assumed obvious which SCP/RAC wishes to give some insight on.The session is suggested to run through two topics, an brief introduction to plastics composition, processing and health impacts and the main focus being on the circularity of plastics, how to produce safer products and how to recycle them better, including debate on particular case studies.
- Ana Inés Fernández, Associate profesor, Departament de Ciència dels Materials i Química Física, University of Barcelona
- Kimberley de Miguel, SCP/RAC
- Pedro Fernández, SCP/RAC
- Communicating Product Sustainability: 10 Guiding principles (hosted by UN Environment)The objective of the workshop is to present the Guidelines’ principles and enable SwitchMed beneficiaries and local teams of private sector to analyze and improve the way they communicate their products sustainability performance.
- Elisa Tonda, Head of Consumption and Production Unit, Resources and Market Branch, Economy Division,UN Environment
- Luc Reuter,witchMed National Policy Coordinator, UN Environment
- Yan Chang,UN Environment
- #AMA Ask Me Anything Session for Green Entrepreneurs (hosted by SCP/RAC) Don’t miss the opportunity to “ask anything you want” to our experts of the #AMA Session! Entrepreneurs, civil society organisations and practitioners working in social and eco-innovation are invited to this informal get-together to discuss about their challenges and get advise from our three experts in finance, communication and internationalisation strategies.
- Daniel Hires, SCP/RAC
- Tracy El Achkar, Project Manager, Diane Foundation
- Juliana Mutis, Partner and General Director, Minka-dev
- Sonia Ruiz, Senior Researcher and Lecturer, Institute of Social Innovation ESADE & Founder NOIMA